In this article, we will provide a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to submit your website’s sitemap to Google Search Console using visual aids for easier understanding. But before we delve into the process, it is crucial to grasp the concept of what a sitemap is. Additionally, make sure that you have already added your website’s URL to Google Search Console before proceeding with the sitemap submission. This ensures a seamless integration of your website into Google’s indexing system.
1. What is Google Search Console
Google Search Console (formerly known as Google Webmaster Tools, also called GSC) is a free tool provided by Google that helps website owners monitor and maintain their site’s presence in Google search results. It provides valuable insights into how the site is performing in terms of search engines, and helps diagnose issues that may be impacting organic search visibility.
Google Search Console is a web service by Google which allows webmasters to check indexing status, search queries, crawling errors and optimize visibility of their websites.
Until 20 May 2015, the service was called Google Webmaster Tools In January 2018, Google introduced a new version of the search console, with changes to the user interface. In September 2019, old Search Console reports, including the home and dashboard pages, were removed.Definition from Wikipedia：https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Search_Console
2. Why Should you Submit Sitemap to GSC
By submitting your sitemap, you provide Google with an organized list of all the pages on your website that you want to be indexed. This helps search engine crawlers find and understand your site’s structure more efficiently. It ensures that all important pages are crawled and indexed, improving the chances of their inclusion in search results.
Also, submitting a sitemap to Google Search Console can help identify and fix errors, and gain valuable performance insights. It is a crucial step in optimizing your site for search engines and maximizing its potential in organic search results.
3. Steps by Steps to Submit Sitemap to GSC
To submit your website’s sitemap to Google Search Console, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Log in to your Google Search Console account.
- Step 2: In the left-hand menu, click on “Sitemaps”.
- Step 3: Click the “Add/Test Sitemap” button in the top right corner.
- Step 4: Enter the URL of your sitemap. Typically, this will be something like “https://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml”, but it may vary depending on how your site is set up.
- Step 5: Click “Submit”. Google will now check your sitemap for errors and begin indexing the pages listed in the sitemap file.
- Step 6: Once the process is complete, you can view information about your sitemap under the “Sitemaps” tab.
Remember that submitting a sitemap does not guarantee that all your pages will be indexed by Google, but it can certainly help. Make sure that your sitemap is up-to-date and includes all the pages you want to be indexed. Additionally, make sure your website meets Google’s quality guidelines and has unique, high-quality content to increase your chances of ranking well in search results.